Friday, November 28, 2014

Progressing Bible Students

I love service. I truly enjoy meeting someone, seeing their interest grow, and having a regular visit with them. And what I love most is when you see the progress! Everyone progresses at different stages, but the goal is the same...to learn about Jehovah and have a solid continuous relationship with him. I've mentioned before how the deaf have their own culture and here in DR many don't know sign, so sometimes it's a longer process. But man after time passing and seeing the great progress it's AMAZING! 
My bible student Ana is doing very well. I started with here in May of this year, she knew no sign. So we started from scratch and now is doing super well!!! Not only has she learned some signs that represent animals or actions or people but now I can ask her questions and she responds in her own words. It's not a long elaborate comment, it's straight and simple but it's in her words. She has even leaned to spell her name and introduce herself and ask others for their names. So now after learning some signs she is starting to form sentences and have conversations. I love the picture of her here because you see how she is thinking before responding to my question. 

I'm also proud of my other bible student Ludres. She has been doing very well in signing and learning how to write her name. She is always smiling once she sees me approach her house. As mentioned everyone progresses at a different pace. Ludres is learning how to write her name, I have left homework for her to complete and she successfully does it. After a few visits with getting her to understand her name and how it is spelled on paper, we will work on it in sign. In this pic you'll see me and on the far right you'll see Ludres. In the middle is her niece, if she is home she'll study with us and afterwards we watch Caleb videos.

Caroline is another bible study that I started with but actually passed on to Karen, once Karen moved to Higuey. Caroline is a young deaf female who also doesn't know much sign, but she copies a lot of what she sees. This can be an issue sometimes because the deaf student will copy what you say rather than learning the meaning of the study. So Karen has been working on this. And recently we had some major success. Caroline was able to explain the point of Jehovahs creation and identify somethings as well. In this pic I'm with Caroline but here you notice how tiny she is, I look like a GIANT next to her! Haha 
 
My poor service shoes. I bought these comfortable shoes before I moved here. They have been faithful to me for the last 7 months ....but they have been through so much and it was time to let them go! I had even sewed them and they were able to last a while longer lol funny because being the states if I even got a scatch on my shoes I would quickly get rid of them. But here I don't have the comfortability of just getting rid of something and buying them new. So with what I got I make it last! My parents were able to get me new shoes, definitely a blessing from Jehovah.

Our awesome service group! It's always nice to have a huge group support service! We are all in this together!


No comments:

Post a Comment